Our sugar intake rockets around this time of the year – I suspect we are all counting down with a chocolate advent calendar or enjoying a mince pie or two.
So, while we wish you all a cracker of a Christmas, here are some ideas gifted to you by our team of ‘tooth fairies’ at Coombe Dental Care to ensure your smile stays in tip-top condition.
1. Timing is everything. Whether it is Christmas cookies, a Yule log or mince pies that hit your sweet spot, try to be mindful of when you indulge in these festive treats. Our advice is to minimise frequency and enjoy them immediately after a meal so your teeth are not under constant attack throughout the day.
2. Oh, no you don’t! After a hard night partying, it is very tempting to head for bed and forget your usual healthy habits. However exhausted you might be, please don’t forget to brush your teeth before bedtime. Remember to brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day using a fluoride toothpaste, with no rinsing after brushing.
3. Give the gift of a smile. Why not consider giving an electric toothbrush as a present this year. They are great for those of us who are prone to brushing too hard and clean teeth and gums effectively. Some of them even come with timers!
4. Don’t go nuts! Teeth are for eating and eating only. Don’t be tempted to crack nuts, tear Sellotape or open tight bottle tops with them. We don’t want any emergencies over the holidays!
5. Make 2020 ‘smiles’ better! Why not kick-start your year by boosting your confidence with some cosmetic dental treatment. We offer a suite of procedures to refresh a smile, including affordable teeth whitening. And, don’t forget to add your dentist and hygiene check-up to your diaries, too!